A Life-Changer in Georgia!
Throughout Georgia, a network of dedicated volunteers and community partners are joining together to serve their neighbors in need. In Athens, Atlanta, Augusta, Gainesville and Rome, as well as through our programs such as Breakthru House and Housing, and our regional initiatives Smart Lunch, Smart Kid and Feed the Hungry, we are serving more Georgians than ever before. When you get involved in breaking the cycle of poverty for your neighbors in need, it’s not just their lives that are changed. It’s YOURS, too!
Where? Metro Atlanta
Smart Lunch, Smart Kid is searching for an unpaid intern to design and implement enrichment activities for children participating in the summer hunger relief initiative to serve May – August 2015 (earlier start date available if the candidate desires). Action Ministries will work with interns seeking college credit. See Opportunity Knocks job description here.
- LOCATION: Metro Atlanta
- CONTACT: Rachel Ruckart, program manager for SLSK
Smart Lunch, Smart Kid is hosting a children’s book and nonperishable food drive in January to honor the MLK Day of Service. Life-Changers may bring their donations to the warehouse by appointment with Courtney Jackson.
- LOCATION: Feed the Hungry warehouse, 2160 Hills Avenue, Building 2, 2160 F, Atlanta, GA 30318
- CONTACT: Courtney Jackson, CJackson@actionministries.net
Host a food drive to benefit FTH or pack food boxes for needy families at our warehouse or your location.
- LOCATION: Feed the Hungry, 2160 Hills Avenue, Building 2, 2160 F, Atlanta, GA 30318
- CONTACT: Mark Hellman, executive director
Provide or serve a meal at the Women’s Community Kitchen.
- LOCATION: Women’s Community Kitchen, 458 Ponce de Leon Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30308
- CONTACT: Katherine Bailey, WCK manager
Organize a group of friends (4-6 volunteers) to bring and share a meal with Breakthru clients. Second Wednesday of the month from 6 to 8 p.m.
- LOCATION: Breakthru House, 1866 Eastfield Street, Decatur, GA 30032
- CONTACT: Katie Phillips, development coordinator
Donate items for a welcome kit for families transitioning out of homelessness.
- LOCATION: Action Ministries Housing office, 1017 Edgewood Ave, Atlanta, GA 30307
- CONTACT: Shannon Ball, director of support teams and volunteer relations
Lead a Creativity Night or Game Night with interns from the Candler School of Theology to encourage residents to socialize and practice creative expression. All new volunteers must attend a volunteer orientation.
- LOCATION: Welcome House, 234 Memorial Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30303
- CONTACT: Anthon Holmes, activities coordinator
Provide a meal at Our Daily Bread. Breakfast is served at 8 a.m., and lunch is served at noon, Monday through Friday. Sack meals are served at noon on Saturdays and 3 p.m. on Sundays. Click on Volunteer Guide for Serving at Our Daily Bread.
- LOCATION: Our Daily Bread, Athens First Baptist Church, 355 Pulaski Street, Athens, GA 30601
- CONTACT: Solomon Smothers, program administrator
- LOCATION: Maxwell House, 1002 Greene Street, Augusta, GA 30901
- CONTACT: Danielle Meyer, director of Augusta housing partnerships
Communicate with our donors and audiences via e-newsletter and social media.
- LOCATION: Action Ministries Gainesville, 1 1st Street, Gainesville, GA 30504
- CONTACT: Terri Armour, executive director
Host a food drive to stock the pantry.
- LOCATION: The Faith Center Warehouse, 207 East 19th Street, Rome, GA 30161
- CONTACT: Gary Chagnon, executive director