A Life-Changer in Georgia!
Throughout Georgia, a network of dedicated volunteers and community partners are joining together to serve their neighbors in need. In Athens, Atlanta, Augusta, Covington, Gainesville and Rome, as well as through our programs such as Breakthru House and Housing, and our regional initiatives Smart Lunch, Smart Kid and Feed the Hungry, we are serving more Georgians than ever before. When you get involved in breaking the cycle of poverty for your neighbors in need, it’s not just their lives that are changed. It’s YOURS, too!
Where? Metro Atlanta
Host a food drive to benefit FTH or pack food boxes (we need 2,000 every month!) for needy families or SuperPacks for schoolchildren at our warehouse or your location.
- LOCATION: Feed the Hungry, 2160 Hills Avenue, Building 2, 2160 F, Atlanta, GA 30318
- CONTACT: Eugene Overton, operations manager, Feed the Hungry warehouse, 757-339-5363
- SIGN UP HERE
Prepare and/or serve lunches in Gwinnett County during Spring Break, April 3-7, 2017.
- LOCATION: Gwinnett County communities
- CONTACT: Diana Oladokun, Gwinnett County AmeriCorps VISTA, 404-944-4869
Provide and serve a hot meal and to-go bags each Sunday at Trinity Table. Plan a special project, such as distributing winter coats, socks, hygiene kits or other items needed by our guests.
Provide or serve a meal at the Women’s Community Kitchen.
- LOCATION: Women’s Community Kitchen, 458 Ponce de Leon Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30308
- CONTACT: Katherine Bailey, Women’s Community Kitchen manager
Organize a group of friends (4-6 volunteers) to bring and share a meal with Breakthru clients. Supper Club is ideal for first-time volunteer groups. Second Wednesday of the month from 6 to 8 p.m.
- LOCATION: Breakthru House, 1866 Eastfield Street, Decatur, GA 30032
- CONTACT: Sherrese Jordan, administrative manager
Donate items for a welcome kit for families transitioning out of homelessness.
- LOCATION: Action Ministries Housing, 1017 Edgewood Ave, Atlanta, GA 30307
- CONTACT: Marvin Nesbitt, vice president of Housing
Lead a creativity night or game night with interns from the Candler School of Theology to encourage residents to socialize and practice creative expression. Assist with a library redesign project or a gardening revitalization project. All new volunteers must attend a volunteer orientation.
- LOCATION: Welcome House, 234 Memorial Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30303
- CONTACT: Renee Howze, resident life enrichment coordinator
Provide a meal at Our Daily Bread. Breakfast is served at 8 a.m., and lunch is served at noon, Monday through Friday. Sack meals are served at noon on Saturdays and 3 p.m. on Sundays. Click on Volunteer Guide for Serving at Our Daily Bread.
- LOCATION: Our Daily Bread, Athens First Baptist Church, 355 Pulaski Street, Athens, GA 30601
- CONTACT: Solomon Smothers, regional director
- LOCATION: Maxwell House, 1002 Greene Street, Augusta, GA 30901
- CONTACT: Danielle Meyer, director of Augusta housing partnerships
Help fund or prepare SuperPacks, weekend meals for at-risk children.
- LOCATION: 2160 Church Street, Covington, GA 30014
- CONTACT: Tamara Richardson, area director
Serve as a case manager volunteer, answer phones or pick up food boxes at Feed the Hungry warehouse and bring to Gainesville.
- LOCATION: Action Ministries in Gainesville, 1 1st Street, Gainesville, GA 30504
- CONTACT: Tina Grubbs, regional director
Donate, pack and deliver backpacks containing four meals to children in need to feed them over the weekends. Deliveries take place on Thursdays and Fridays.