A Life-Changer in Georgia!
Throughout Georgia, a network of dedicated volunteers and community partners are joining together to serve their neighbors in need. In Athens, Atlanta, Augusta, Gainesville and Rome, as well as through our programs such as Breakthru House and Housing, and our regional initiatives Smart Lunch, Smart Kid and Feed the Hungry, we are serving more Georgians than ever before. When you get involved in breaking the cycle of poverty for your neighbors in need, it’s not just their lives that are changed. It’s YOURS, too!
Holiday Volunteer Opportunities
Where? Metro Atlanta
Make and deliver 150 lunches to Tucker children at 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 18.
- LOCATION: Tucker, Ga.
- CONTACT: Rachel Ruckart, SLSK lead program coordinator
Host a food drive to benefit FTH or pack food boxes for needy families at our warehouse or your location.
- LOCATION: Feed the Hungry, 2160 Hills Avenue, Building 2, 2160 F, Atlanta, GA 30318
- CONTACT: Mark Hellman, executive director
Provide or serve a meal at the Women’s Community Kitchen.
- LOCATION: Women’s Community Kitchen, 458 Ponce de Leon Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30308
- CONTACT: Katherine Bailey, WCK manager
Provide items on our Christmas Wish List for our clients battling addiction. Deliver or mail unwrapped gifts to Breakthru House.
- 18 twin sheet sets, pillows and comforters
- Three sets of new cookware
- Winter socks
- CDs of uplifting music or meditations
- Kroger Gift Cards ($30 increments preferred)
- 7-day MARTA passes ($23.75 each)
- Home Depot gift cards
- Michael’s gift cards
- LOCATION: Breakthru House, 1866 Eastfield Street, Decatur, GA 30032
- CONTACT: Katie Phillips, development coordinator
Donate items for a welcome kit for families transitioning out of homelessness.
- LOCATION: Action Ministries Housing office, 1017 Edgewood Ave, Atlanta, GA 30307
- CONTACT: Shannon Ball, director of support teams and volunteer relations
Lead a Creativity Night or Game Night with interns from the Candler School of Theology to encourage residents to socialize and practice creative expression. All new volunteers must attend a volunteer orientation.
- LOCATION: Welcome House, 234 Memorial Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30303
- CONTACT: Anthon Holmes, activities coordinator
Provide personal care kits to be distributed at Our Daily Bread’s annual Christmas meal at Chapelwood UMC. Deliver kit items to the Fellowship Hall of Chapelwood UMC on any weekday between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. The deadline for dropping off supplies is Friday, Dec. 19, at 1 p.m.
- Wash cloth
- Hand towel
- Bath-size bar of soap
- Toothpaste: 4-7 oz. size
- Disposable razor
- Nail clippers
- 6 Band-aids
- LOCATION: Chapelwood UMC Fellowship Hall, 100 Janice Drive, Athens, GA
- CONTACT: Solomon Smothers, program administrator
Smart Lunch, Smart Kid
- CONTACT: Drew Hooks, hunger relief coordinator
- LOCATION: Maxwell House, 1002 Greene Street, Augusta, GA 30901
- CONTACT: Danielle Meyer, director of Augusta housing partnerships
Volunteer during White Christmas distribution day, Dec. 17, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. We also still need donations to provide families with food boxes.
- LOCATION: Action Ministries Gainesville, 1 1st Street, Gainesville, GA 30504
- CONTACT: Terri Armour, executive director
Host a food drive to stock the pantry or work in the community garden.
- LOCATION: The Faith Center Warehouse, 207 East 19th Street, Rome, GA 30161
- CONTACT: Gary Chagnon, executive director