Nearly 85 percent of Athens-Clarke County K-12 students are eligible for free or reduced school lunch. For many of these students, school is the only place where they get a regular meal. During school breaks, these students often go without consistent, dependable meals. Smart Lunch, Smart Kid is a child hunger relief program of Action Ministries, and this summer, May 30 through Aug. 4, we will serve sack lunches and provide educational enrichment in eight Athens communities.
This program is not possible without YOUR support! How can you get involved?
- Provide sack lunches on weekdays.
- Assemble sack lunches at our distribution site, Milledge Avenue Baptist Church. This is a great activity for families with kids!
- Deliver the lunches directly to the communities where they are needed, removing the barrier of lack of transportation that can keep children from getting the food they need.
- Lead enrichment activities in the communities where we distribute meals in order to keep the kids’ minds and bodies active during the school break.
- Donate the necessary funds used to provide sack lunches and enrichment.
Smart Lunch, Smart Kid is an opportunity for any organization, business, congregation or individual to serve their neighbors in need. For more information or to sign up, please visit http://signup.com/go/AWVzY3 or contact AmeriCorps VISTA Hunger Relief Specialist Beth Deroshia at firstname.lastname@example.org or 706-353-6647.