Don’t Miss Our Special Hunger Relief Offer in November!
Founded in 1977, Feed the Hungry Foundation Inc. began as a project of a fraternal business organization and, until 1985, was a seasonal ministry helping families only at Christmas. Today, major distribution still takes place at Christmas, but the foundation helps between 15,000-20,000 families a year, representing approximately 90,000 individuals. Nearly 60 percent of the food the foundation provides goes to children under the age of 18. Feed the Hungry provides more than 1,000,000 meals annually throughout the city of Atlanta and much of north Georgia. In January 2012, Feed the Hungry merged with Action Ministries to give the people of Georgia increased access to hunger solutions and to serve our combined clients and communities more efficiently.
Feed the Hungry enjoys a strong relationship with Publix Super Markets Inc. The Publix Food for Sharing program provides food for hundreds of hungry families during the holiday season through generous donations from shoppers. Publix Food for Sharing donations enable Feed the Hungry to operate its food box program, which provides needy families with a box of food containing the equivalent of more than $30 worth of groceries, enough to feed a family of four for several days.
How it Works
We offer churches, schools, companies and civic organizations the opportunity to obtain boxes of food worth $25-$30 – enough to feed a family of four for several days – for a $5 donation. This donation covers processing, handling fees and other production and distribution-related costs.
Volunteers pack the boxes, and each box comes with food items much like the following:
- 2 1-pound bags of rice
- 2 16-ounce cans of vegetables (usually green beans)
- 2 16-ounce cans of fruit (usually fruit cocktail)
- 4 5-ounce cans of tuna
- 1 2-pound box of pancake mix
- 4 24-ounce cans of beef stew
- 1 16-ounce jar of peanut butter
- 2 boxes of macaroni and cheese
The boxes weigh approximately 18 pounds, light enough for most people to lift, and they are large enough to fit additional food items, such as perishable bread, meat or produce, allowing local partners to customize the boxes to suit the needs of the families they are serving. The sturdy containers measure 18 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches–small enough to stack easily in a closet or against a wall, on hand when they’re needed.
Community partners, such as churches, schools or civic groups, can obtain Feed the Hungry food boxes for a donation of $5 each and customize them locally to best serve their neighbors in need.
The Feed the Hungry program provides organizations with a wonderful team-building opportunity. We encourage you to take advantage of this “turnkey” program that allows your members to experience the hands-on joy of serving their neighbors.
- In just two hours of service, 15 of your members can pack approximately 200 boxes!
- This program is designed for volunteers of all ages. Children as young as 5 or 6 can help by writing inspirational notes to be placed in the boxes, while older children, teens and adults can take part in the sorting, packing and stacking of boxes.
- We qualify as an approved service organization for Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops, high school seniors and college students working toward meeting community service hour requirements.
- Service and volunteer opportunities can be arranged to meet your group’s needs.