WE ARE … Action Ministries Metro – Atlanta
We lead people out of poverty by providing hunger relief and educational opportunities to our metro area neighbors in need.
A nutritious weekday meal at the Women’s Community Kitchen, where we serve more than 20,000 meals a year, provides hunger relief and fellowship to low-income and homeless women and children in a safe, nurturing environment.
Our sack lunch program provides meals for the weekend, ensuring that women and children are fed seven days a week.
The Women’s Community Kitchen is not just a place to get a meal, but is an access point for resources and education opportunities to help lead people out of poverty.
- Provide or serve a meal at the Women’s Community Kitchen.
- LOCATION: Grace United Methodist Church & General Board of Global Ministries Headquarters, 458 Ponce de Leon Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30308
- CONTACT: Katherine Bailey, Women’s Community Kitchen manager
- SIGN UP HERE
Each Sunday for 35 years, Trinity Table has provided food for the hungry in a hospitable setting that affirms the dignity and worth of those in need. Action Ministries partnered with Trinity Table in 2017 to continue the work of this program. Each guest who comes to the Table is served a hot meal and given a to go bag of food. The Table is the only consistent source of free food in the Capitol Hill neighborhood on Sundays.
- Provide and serve a hot meal and to-go bags each Sunday at Trinity Table. Plan a special project, such as distributing coats, socks, hygiene kits or other items needed by our guests.
- LOCATION: Trinity Table Kitchen, 265 Washington Street SW, Atlanta, GA 30303
- CONTACT: Bonnie Selleck, Trinity Table volunteer manager
Volunteer tutors are needed at our Smart Kid After School programs to help children improve their reading and math skills. They also assist with homework assignments and craft projects. Tutors should be college-aged or older and must be able to volunteer once a week for a semester from 3:00 – 5:00 pm. Potential tutors must pass a background check in order to work with children.
Host a food drive to benefit FTH or pack food boxes (we need 2,000 every month!) for needy families or SuperPacks for schoolchildren at our warehouse or your location.
- LOCATION: Feed the Hungry, 2160 Hills Avenue, Building 2, 2160 F, Atlanta, GA 30318
- CONTACT: Eugene Overton, operations manager, Feed the Hungry warehouse, 757-339-5363
- SIGN UP HERE
Prepare and/or serve lunches to children in need during summer and school holidays.
- LOCATION: Metro Atlanta communities
- CONTACT: Your local SLSK coordinator or Amy Olvey, Hunger Relief Program Director
Lead a creativity night or game night with interns from the Candler School of Theology to encourage residents to socialize and practice creative expression. Assist with a library redesign project or a gardening revitalization project. All new volunteers must attend a volunteer orientation.
- LOCATION: Welcome House, 234 Memorial Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30303
- CONTACT: Samantha Bolling, Director of Housing Services
Donate items for a welcome kit for families transitioning out of homelessness.
- LOCATION: Action Ministries Housing, 1700 Century Circle, Suite 200, Atlanta, GA 30345
- CONTACT: Marvin Nesbitt, Vice President of Programs
The Smart Kid summer enrichment program provides summer enrichment in literacy, physical and emotional fitness, the arts and STEAM subjects to prevent the “summer slide” that can hinder children’s education when they return to school in the fall. Download flyer here: Smart Kid summer enrichment program
Our Thanksgiving and Christmas programs provide low-income families with toys, food and other necessities through the Women’s Community Kitchen.
Need help? Contact us to find out more about being a Life-Changer with our programs!