Action Ministries Athens serves the hungry, homeless and working poor in the Clarke County area through various services, including:
Our Daily Bread Community Kitchen, which serves breakfast and lunch Monday-Friday and a sack meal on the weekends. Annually, our program provides more than 60,000 nutritious meals with gracious hospitality to men, women and children in need and offers a gateway to other transformational services. Partnering with more than 70 volunteer groups, Our Daily Bread in Athens has served meals seven days per week, 365 days per year since 1989.
- LOCATION: Our Daily Bread, Athens First Baptist Church, 355 Pulaski Street, Athens, GA 30601
- CONTACT: Solomon Smothers, regional director
GED/Adult Basic Education Tutorial
- Support local students pursue their education by being a tutor. Classes are M, T, and Th from 9:30 am- 11:30am.
- Location: 465 North Lumpkin St.
- Contact Solomon Smothers, regional director
- All GED tutors must be interviewed and commit to a 3 months of volunteering
- Support the work of Action Ministries Northeast by helping our office with supplies that make our client partners feel more at home
- Coffee filters
- Bottles of water
- Healthy Snacks
Other services provided by Action Ministries Northeast:
- Community garden
- Distribution of essential health, hygiene and food items
- Referrals to other agencies
- Legal services
- Basic case management
- Nursing care
- Veterans assistance
- Adult education/GED prep
- Employment search support
- VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)
- Counseling Services
- Smart Lunch, Smart Kid
For more information about Action Ministries Northeast or to volunteer, contact Solomon Smothers, program director, at 706-353-6647 ext. 5670.